David Earl wrote:
>Sent: 11 November 2009 4:05 PM
>To: Ed Avis
>Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Apostrophist corrects punctuation on street signs
>
>On 11/11/2009 14:31, Ed Avis wrote:
>> Frustrated by living in "St Johns Close", in Turnbridge Wells, Mr Gatward
>> decided to buy a can of black paint and a craft brush before correcting
>the name
>> to "St John's Close".
>
>I've come across any number of streets where the apostrophe is missing
>on one sign and present on another either opposite or at the other end
>of the street.

And we know of councils that have a policy on new signs to drop all
apostrophise and other punctuation (eg St. to St as an abbreviation for
Saint). There are also many examples I have of the space between some words
being dropped. Summer Hill to Summerhill I spotted at the weekend for
instance. You can also see this happening when you compare the old names
found on OOC mapping and the names used on streets when the area has been
urbanised.

Cheers

Andy