2009/11/25 Jean-Marc Liotier <j...@liotier.org>:
> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason's diary entry last week (http://j.mp/8ESP8o)
> stired my interest. Using a few examples, he showed how mapping
> everything as an area - or as a volume - makes ultimate sense. Should we
> go for it now ?
>
> Mapping the crossing of two roads, four cycleways and four sidewalks all
> as surfaces requires about twenty times as many nodes as mapping the
> crossing of two linear roads. That is a hefty increase in complexity,
> especially when having to deal with the modification of existing ways.
> Should that be put forward as a best practice ?
>
> When dealing with pedestrian plazas and their surroundings, the value
> added by area mapping makes it worthwhile, but for more standard street
> grids I'm not sure if that should be a priority. My geeky nitpicky self
> makes me want to do it, but maybe I should focus my energy somewhere
> else where it would be more useful. And maintaining that complexity may
> be more costly than what we have now.
>
> So what is your opinion ? Generalized area mapping is the future, but
> should we wholeheartedly embrace it right now or wait for more
> sophisticated tools for maintaining it and a clearer "business case" ?

It is very interesting question. I like to do micro mapping myself and
I have thought lot of business uses for it, but more or less I see it
as evolutionary thing. First of all, for area I map I would like to
see generalized stuff which is useful now - roads with proper tagging
and directions, bus stops, public transport routes, house numbers,
etc.  This is what I would call first level. Second would be add paths
and sizes of the roads like this. And third would be area based
mapping mentioned in your message.

I would like to see first level completed for 80% for selected region
before moving to second and third. Also resource issues (high
resolution ortphotos, sathotos, local  plans) plays a role if micro
mapping is possible for this region.

Cheers,
Peter.