On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Matt Amos wrote:
> let's take a look at some evidence, the doodle.com poll. currently there
> are 225 respondents, breaking down into 76% yes, 12% no and 12% don't
> know. that's a significant proportion of yes.
>
> furthermore, 62% of yes correspondents feel that their data should be
> PD. overall 5 times more people feel that their data is PD than that we
> should continue with CC BY-SA*.
>
> in about three weeks we'll have more evidence from the OSMF members and
> we will be able to see what the views of the community really are,
> rather than making trolling statements about based on our own
> expectations of them are.
>
> cheers,
>
> matt
>

> *: although i'm sure that'll change now...

That poll is evidence that the poll should cover all users.
225 respondents out of tens of thousands of contributors will not reach
significance.
The high response for PD indicates that a number of people want open data and
that any question on licence should contain a lot of options.
I would expect then a run-off poll like in France, we eliminate the least
popular choices and revote.
I do not want preferential voting as in Australia (we are all always confused
by it)

I presume the terms of reference for the LWG were to "find and modify an
alternate licence" rather than to find out "what alternate licence did
contributors want?" because if the majority go PD they have wasted all that
work and effort in "protecting data" when the copyright owners (ie
contributors) decide to give it away instead.

What is the plan from the OSMF Board if ODbL is not accepted?
Is it to try again every 6 months?
Is it to leave the licence as is?
Is it to go PD?