On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 5:26 AM, James Livingston <doc...@mac.com> wrote:

> The downside of not requiring copyright assignment is that OSMF can't sue
> for copyright infringement of the data.

I believe some other projects get around that by assigning the project as an
agent for the purposes of engaging in a copyright infringement lawsuit.  Not
that I know the exact details or care to know them, as I think it'd be a
terrible idea.

> They could still sue for breach of contract and possible infringement of
> the database rights (I'm not sure about that, I don't know enough about EU
> law).

And the original contributors can't sue for breach of contract or
infringement of the database rights, correct?  In that sense, this is a lot
*like* a copyright assignment.  Especially since the ODbL only covers the
database as a whole, not the individual contributions.