Serge,

Check out Quantum GIS, it is a powerful OpenSource desktop GIS that is
evolving pretty rapidly.  It also includes a plugin architecture, so
people can write their own Python plugins.  http://www.qgis.org/

OSGEO maintains a list of educational content in their wiki:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Educational_Content_Inventory

If you really want to dig into algorithms in code, you could look at
GEOS (C++) http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/  or JTS (Java)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jts-topo-suite/

David.