2009/12/18 John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>

> I thought China wasn't preventing mapping, but trying to extort (more)
> money out of mapping companies?

They prevent mapping from individuals who are mostly likely using a grey
market GPS, returning real latitude, longitude value. China is using
officially an algorithm to fudge the lat long in official GPS requirement to
prevent people from knowing precisely the location.
The only way for a mapping company to have their map certified is by paying
the chinese government to fudge their data with their magical algorithm into
a single room. So essentially you are right. I have been told that the
practice was initially a way to protect themselves, but it has been becoming
a huge money making scheme now.

Emilie Laffray