On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 2:25 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/26 Matt Amos <zerebub...@gmail.com>:
>> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 1:46 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Via a clear channel, which can be proxied and mangled and so on.
>>
>> proxied yes, mangled no. the cryptographic signature which OAuth
>> performs allows the server to detect if the request was modified
>> en-route and it will reject it if so.
>
> I should have been clear, I didn't mean it would be accepted I meant
> it might get mangled and be unusable:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/23/vodafone_christmas/

while that's really sad, and a complete FAIL for vodafone, this site
claims that:

"Secure HTTPS sites are transcoded, except for "banking sites". Users
are warned that their security may be compromised when visiting a
non-banking secure site through the transcoder."
http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=1837

which means there's no argument here for using SSL on vodafone.

>> OAuth isn't a substitute for SSL, but it is a substitute for passwords
>
> Nuff said.

indeed. OSM doesn't need SSL for API traffic, it just needs a system
for secure authentication. and it has one in OAuth.

cheers,

matt