On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Robin Paulson wrote:
> the srtm contour data used in some osm renders is great, partic for
> cyclists and walkers. i've realised that it's not as high
> accuracy/precision as it might be though. i notice that most GPS
> devices also record the elevation within their tracklogs, and that it
> might be useful to extract this data, and use it to provide more data
> for calculating the altitude of a given point.
>
> any ideas?

There are many sources of error in SRTM and GPS and barometric height
measures.
First of all
Height compared to what?
Sea Level?
Sea Level is as arbitrarily defined as any tag in OSM - its what somebody else
says "Sea Level" is.
Next - there are plenty of fake elevations in SRTM data. I can show you places
where the creek is higher than the ground according to SRTM. On the flat plain
the only trees grow next to the creek and are an obvious feature - so the
satellite measure picks out the trees as a rise in ground level. Sometimes the
contour elevation is found to be a big shed.
Most of the time the Garmin Etrex Hcx offers the same height as the SRTM data
on the imported map, but seeing where and when it makes errors is the key to
understanding the errors.
A fast bicycle descent wrecks the height calculation because the processor is
too slow. It defaults to barometric measure then but this is affected by more
than height.