On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
>
> >That said, I personally find the highway tagging guidelines difficult to
> apply anyway.  In states without formal legal road classifications we might
> as well mark everything except motorways and service roads as "road" for all
> I can tell.  Anything else is just tagging for the renderer.
>
> Definitely the worst misunderstanding of "tagging for the renderer" that
> I've seen so far. If I understand you right, you see two options for
> tagging: either tag everything 100% objectively based on hard facts like
> speed limits and documentation, or tag completely arbitrarily.

You certainly don't "understand me right".  Where do you read that I
suggested that tagging completely arbitrarily is an option?

There are an infinite number of options for tagging.  But there's only one
correct one - use objective definitions.

Suffice to say there is a very healthy middle ground, where there *is*
> benefit in distinguishing primary roads from tertiary from
> residential...even if based on rough observation.

Rough observation of what?  I have no problem with rough observation.  What
I have a problem with is everyone making up their own definition.

Once you've made up the definitions of primary, secondary, and tertiary, I
think you'll find that applying those definitions can be easily automated.
Sure, there might be some tweaks here and there where we find we need to add
exceptions to the original definitions (e.g. a road with speed bumps is
never a primary), but at least you'll end up with a consistent system.

> Mapping a road "the wrong color" when there aren't any traffic_calming tags
>> is another great way to get people adding appropriate tags.
>>

> What's so important about traffic_calming tags? True, they will affect
> accurate trip time planning, but is that it?

You wouldn't want to color a road with speed bumps as a primary, would you?