On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Claus Hindsgaul
<claus.hindsg...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The outcome of the discussion was by default to represent bicycle
> tracks/lanes with "cycleway=track/lane" tags in the accompagning road
> instead of separate "cycleway=highway". The following expressed exceptions
> were agreed upon and is now pinned out in the Danish guideline (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Da:Cykelstivejledning):
>
>    - distances where the path/contour of the bicycle track differs
>    significantly from that of the road
>    - distances where the bicycle track is separated from the road by a
>    barrier not easily nor legally passed by a bicycle (a curb is regarded as
>    easily passed).
>    - distances where the bicycle track has a significant distance to the
>    road side (~ >5 meter)

Excellent, agree completely with these.

>    - distances where permitted traffic directions of different vehicles
>    can not otherwise be correctly described (this bullet could well be
>    elliminated by the present discussion)
>    - distances where car road and bicycle track properties differs
>    significantly (e.g. paved road and dirt bicycle track)
>
> Not sure about this one. Seems like "surface:cycleway=dirt" would be
perfectly reasonable. I can't think of any examples, but since cycleways and
roads tend to be maintained separately, it would seem possible for one
surface to degrade to the point where you'd want to mark it as different
from the other. At that point, I don't see that it has suddenly changed in
status in any major way.

But that's a minor quibble. I really like the major cases, and think we
should document them in the english wiki.

Steve