I'd like to thank Andy for his very useful input into this discussion.
Although I don't think I've posted in this thread, I did have some of the
misconceptions he referred to. It would probably be worth documenting some
of this stuff - a simple "why is it called OpenCycleMap", for instance. And
perhaps it *is* worth changing the name, if it's confusing, and everybody
jumps to the wrong conclusion. (As with many things I discover in OSM, there
is a Wikipedia parallel - lots of projects related to Wikipedia end up being
Wikixxx, even though they're not wikis. And that's just as confusing.)

Now, a comment from Anthony:

> The motivation should be simple.  Open up the stylesheet, and you get to be
> in the main map.  Don't open up the stylesheet, and you don't get to be in
> the main map.  No demands, no guilt, just a simple choice.

Andy explained pretty convincingly that "being in the main map" is a big
financial burden, not some feather in his cap. I think you're barking up the
wrong tree here.

Probably where a lot of people, myself included, are coming from, is that we
*like* OpenCycleMap, we just want to be able to contribute to it, as well.
There are things I'd change...like getting rid of the topo overlay (useful
in some contexts, but frequently just gets in the way), tweaking some
colours (the pale green fading to white when zoomed way out is a bit
sickly), and maybe reducing some of the non-bike-related detail. It would be
nice if you could download it all and start tweaking for your own personal
purposes.

If you, Andy, are concerned that people might rip off your project, or
misrepresent your work or something, well, there are ways of dealing with
that. You could even license it as "free for private use and study, must not
be republished" or something - "open but not free". It seems you've chosen
to instead permit individuals to have access to parts of the source on a
case-by-case basis, which is obviously your call, but creates a bit of
mystery, which seems to inevitability lead to angst and ill-will.

Just wanted to share my thanks for OCM in general (it's what got me into
OSM, after all!) and perhaps explain what the community might be feeling.
Even if we express it badly :)

Steve