On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:
[ ... ]
> Anyway, the answer to my question seems to be "use your own judgment, don't
> tell anyone where you got the information from, and everything will be ok".
> Which is a weird answer, but ok.

Well no.  The answer is "no it is not okay."

The answer is, "We don't copy other maps at OpenStreetMap because we
respect copyright law and related rights, even if we disagree with
some aspects of them.  We're an international project with the lofty
and noble goal of providing excellent, unencumbered geodata to anyone
and we hold ourselves to very high standards.  In terms of copyright
and derivation we aim to be cleaner than clean."

Or as the help page in Potlatch says: "Don't copy from other maps!"
and "Did we mention about not copying from other maps?"

Or as the JOSM message page says, "Don't copy from other maps"

And as Richard Fairhurst pointed out above,

"Quick answer as requested:

1. Your jurisdiction may give databases of facts protection over and above
the facts themselves. Simplifying hugely, the EU does, the US doesn't.
http://www.iusmentis.com/databases/ for more.

2. The Terms of Use for Google Maps (or whatever) may forbid it through
contract."

I hope if you run across others who may think that it is okay to sneak
around permission to derive, that you will convince them that it is
not okay.  Have them hold themselves to the same high standards of the
vast majority of the OSM community.  Be proud of the data you provide
to OSM and of the ways that you acquire it.

As insufferable as I sound, and I do, you've suggested "copying with a
wink and a nod" because it is easier.  That sounds to me like you've
been invited to a party, but you've decided to dance in your muddy
work boots.  Don't kick mud over the rest of us on the dance floor.
Leave your boots at the door and dance in your socks.  ;-)