In your letter dated Wed, 03 Feb 2010 02:18:09 +0100 you wrote:
>Am 03.02.2010 00:38, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
>> Hi,
>>
>> NopMap wrote:
>>> In contrast, I believe that there actually are people who try to listen to
>>> the sorrows of (potential) newcomers and want to lower the learning curve.
>>> Way too few, though.
>>
>> Fixed tagging rules are not needed to lower the learning curve.
>
>Could you please explain this?
>
>Fixed tagging rules will very certainly lower the learning curve to
>getting things on the map. You failed to explain the alternatives ...

I understand that the anarchy is a nightmare for tool writers. Keeping up
with all new features and variants that are invented all over the world must
cost a lot of effort.

But from a mapper point of view, I don't see the problem. When I see a
bike path, I tag it as cycleway. I'm vaguely aware of all the discussion
about this, but I don't care.

And I think that goes for a lot of mappers. When you know the basic set,
you can start mapping.

I don't know why the openstreetmap wiki doesn't work on my FreeBSD 8.0
installation, but I think one the .nl pages has a nice list of all the
different road types, and how they should be tagged.

I do think that, at least for road types, beginner guides should be localized.
The road system is different in every country, and you have to map from
the local situation, to the OSM tags.

------- End of Forwarded Message