On 24 February 2010 00:33, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> No, because ways aren't powerful enough to build complex data structures.

This coming from someone using closed ways to describe what you are
saying can't be done... :P

> If it turns out there's something in your design which really can't be
> handled elegantly without adding a new table - fine, but then I'd suggest a
> more general solution so that we're not once again tied to the developer
> cycle every time a new idea comes along.  In any case, I don't see it
> happening.  Just take the name of the table and put it as the relation
> type.  Then take the fields of the table and make them keys in the
> relation.  Or, if any of those fields are foreign keys into the nodes, ways,
> or relations table, designate them as members.  When you get into the
> billions of rows and the database starts slowing down, *then* you can talk
> about splitting those rows out into their own table.

As I said, if people said this same thing about relations where would we be now?

I'm not talking about every little thing, like barriers, needing new
changes, however I think we need to think out of the box for
somethings and this is one of them, there is a lot of information that
needs to be encoded that we can't do presently, not even with areas
without a lot of mess, things like individual lane constraints like
maxspeed/maxheight etc differing per lane.