> I suggest that API 0.8 would specify that any values in the database be
> stored in some appropriate canonical form, with a flag to say if it is
> naturally imperial or naturally metric. So heights and widths would be
> stored (say) in integer millimetres or integer inches with a one-bit
> flag to say which it is, and speed limits would be stored in integer
> km/h or integer mph with a one-bit flag to say which it is. The API call
> to obtain these values would have a parameter to say whether the user
> wants metric, imperial or "how-it-was-specified".

I am willing to bet any amount that this is not going to happen as was
discussed on this and other mailing lists literally hundreds of time.

Tags are free-form and you just have to take care to interpret the
data properly. Yes it can be ambiguous but then you can just fix the
data or ignore it.
In your special case we should tag what's "on the sign" whatever unit that's in.

Cheers,
Lars