Mike N. wrote:
>> I'm very much in favour of improving both the quality of hiking data,
>> and its representation (particularly outside Europe). But do make an
>> effort to consolidate the existing material rather than just adding
>> another layer of paint over the top.
>
>   Exactly - I'm just at the point where I need a high quality hiking /
> biking map in a relatively small region in the US.
>
>   http://topo.geofabrik.de/ has exactly the features and type of rendering I
> had in mind, but it doesn't cover the US and I haven't had time to dig about
> to see if any of it is open source.  I'm beginning to check into a custom
> version of a Mapnik stylesheet and rendering.

One option might be to tweak the styles used for http://toposm.com/ to
better highlight and render hiking trails and paths. It's probably a
good base map for hiking, and we're working on complete US coverage.

Since, in TopOSM, the base topography and the map features are on
different tile layers, it would even be possible to use the existing
topography and contour lines, and make a custom layer that highlights
hiking trails, paths, obstacles etc.

- Lars

--
Lars Ahlzen