>This is certainly a nice project and a challenge to
>do, but it would take out the fun of actually
>walking /trailing if you are not surprised anymore
>by the lovely view around "that corner".

Though seeing the view for real is a bit different than seeing it on the
internet! ;-)
Also there are other use cases, e.g. being out in the field, and using it
as a navigation tool on your phone.

>"Come on dear, just a few hundred meters more and you will see that
>lovely
>panorama on the OTVtown you admired on OTV last week."
>A map, OK but streetview for footpaths .... No

>You may say, don't use OTV if you want to be surprised, and you are
>probably right.
>So go on and make it. The fun is yours anyway taking the
>pictures and walking the trail. ;<))
>You might take a look at http://www.diy-streetview.org/  to
>get an idea of the required equipment.

TBH I'd prefer it's a low-barrier-to-entry project with less-than-perfect
(but adequate) panoramas where all you need is a standard camera and the
ability to use photo-stitching software. Having to cart around lots of
equipment would rather reduce my own interest and I suspect, others. My
tests so far seem to suggest that the panoramas generated by basic
equipment are adequate, though if I am missing something let me know.

Nick