On 9 April 2010 02:18, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you're underestimating the effort that goes into reverse
> engineering a format. Many man-years have gone into reverse
> engineering the Garmin format (and it's still not fully understood),
> the Microsoft Office format and Flash just to name a few.

I realise it most likely isn't an easy undertaking, perhaps it's not
worth the effort and a better use of resources might be to
organise/sell an OSM branded sat nav unit that has wifi and can update
itself.

> Getting a completely different stack of programs to work on new
> hardware might be relatively easy by comparison.

Given my experience of using bleeding edge builds on other hardware
this won't be used by most people, so while it might be easier for
devs, it isn't for users.