On 9 April 2010 08:13, Fips Schneider <o...@fips-schneider.de> wrote:
> while editing some highways which have national and European numbers for
> reference I was wondering if there is a possibility of rendering "ref=A1" and
> "int_ref=E 123" at the same time?

Use a pair of relations:

type=route
route=road
ref=A1

type=route
route=road
ref=E 123

> Might it be possible to render it like the sign on Wikipedia [1]?

If you custom render, some people would like to see these shields
appear on OSM's main map tiles, but there is just as many that prefer
the bland ovals.

> P.S.: If there was any proposal like this in former times, please let me know
> -
> I did not got it...

I'm probably going to be labelled one of various names, but this is
what I've come up with previously:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Custom_Highway_Shields

You can use route/road relations for highway names as well, especially
where different highways share a route segment, or there is a local
street name and a highway name, this way the local name on the way can
take precedent over the relation name.