On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Liz <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2010, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Tyler Ritchie wrote:
>> > That right there says more about the introductory documentation than
>> > really anyone else has been able to articulate.
>>
>> I'm struggling to find any method of signing up to OSM and modifying
>> data that makes it look like a game.
>>
> well the introductory page on the wiki is not one to help you see OSM as a
> serious project
> its messy
> it contains all sorts of things which suggest "game"
> like the lolcat bit
> and "Show me the map! I want to see maps; get out of my way! "
> The use of colour all over the page detracts from the actual heading and
> leading explanatory sentence which are lost between the language list and the
> pretty colours below

There are several suggestions for the front page here.  Some of them
have already been implemented.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page

Since you are advocating a substantial redesign perhaps you could
draft something?  I'm certain that the current designers weren't
aiming for game-like, messy or distracting use of colo(u)r.

SteveC suggested a draft design change for www.openstreetmap.com a
short while ago.  Several folks collaborated on a wiki front page a
few years back, but that was only adopted at http://openstreetmap.ca/
What do you have in mind?