Thanks, I'm sending Jessica an email....

"Hard to know where to start. One big issue with election monitoring is
polling place locations, and those are not always easy to come by. Here
in Kenya, NDI is having a hell of a time pulling those together. This
is the kind of work the OSM community specializes in ... identifying
data sets, working on getting data released, importing it into OSM,
doing custom data feeds and rendering as needed; or if the data can't
be released from official sources, just doing it anyway! Almost every
country in the world has an OSM community, and connected directly with
them to update the map is a great idea. Trainings/mapping parties can
be organized with communities interested in collecting more data.

On the Ushahidi side, OSM is an option, but not the default. I think it
would be great to see some guidance on how to choose a base map layer
... how to compare the current covereage, and how to judge if
organizing to improve OSM would be a good idea. I know Melissa Tully
has just completed and published various guides, perhaps one on mapping
would be interesting to collaborate on."

== Mikel Maron ==
+254(0)724899738 @mikel s:mikelmaron
http://mapkibera.org/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Haiti