On 06/06/10 13:52, Seventy 7 wrote:
> Yes, Maperitive would be ideal. Although the SVG export is not yet done,
> quality (ie large) bitmaps can be done with a "scale" command to smooth
> out pixellation.

I got as far as getting it running (it needs System.Window.Forms; on
Ubuntu, run
sudo apt-get install libmono-winforms*
) and managed, through typing "zoom-out" and "zoom-in" about 50 times
each, to get to the right area of the map, and downloaded the OSM data.
But, not wanting to knock the hard work of you or others, even before I
looked at making style changes, it seemed fairly clear that the text
rendering wasn't nearly as nice as Mapnik's.

I'm developing a whole new appreciation of how hard it is to write a map
renderer which produces beautiful maps!

> You might also like to have a look at Maposmatic
> http://www.maposmatic.org/ as it has SVG export.

That seems just to produce SVG of the default Mapnik style, which I can
already get from http://www.openstreetmap.org/.

Gerv