> I got as far as getting it running and managed, through typing "zoom-out" and
> "zoom-in" about 50 times each, to get to the right area of the map, and
> downloaded the OSM data.

I wouldn't know about Linux, but on Windows you just click on the map, drag it
around and zoom in and out using the mousewheel.

> But, not wanting to knock the hard work of you or others, even before I
> looked at making style changes, it seemed fairly clear that the text
> rendering wasn't nearly as nice as Mapnik's.

I wouldn't disagree but it depends what you mean. You are looking at the
default rules, don't forget, and they sometimes lag behind the features
available (like offsetting the text from an icon, for instance).

> I'm developing a whole new appreciation of how hard it is to write a map
> renderer which produces beautiful maps!

Quite! :-)

It's still very much a work in progress. I think if you were to join the Google
group we could take the conversation offline. Igor has prioritised his
development work in the past when people have had specific requirements - he's
a helpful guy and wants to make it a success!

Regards,
Steve