I have a perl script to create tiles based on srtm data. for usa based on ned
data and some tiles based on viewfinder data because srtm is really bad in
mountain areas
tools required are gdal_translate, gdal_contour, shp2osm, mkgmap.
processing time and temporary space requirement is huge. If someone can provide
a host for sharing the tiles I can run it. Or if someone is interested can
share the script. I have used 25m contours and then all tiles I have processed
can be done with 1x1 degree and they still fit into a single .img file.