On 21 June 2010 16:11, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If historical data is really desired then it seems like there need to
> be some features added to support it. By default historical data
> should obviously not be rendered but it also shouldn't even show up in

By default things should stay as the status quo, how this is
implemented will be the hard thing. With the filtering code that now
exists in JOSM this could be done by editors, but it only takes one
editor that does filter to have a lot of hard work suddenly be
deleted, so realistically this needs server side changes.

Rendering on the other hand will be more tricky, although for most
people this will most likely only need osm2pgsql tweaking to filter
out historical data by default.

> editors unless you explicitly specify it via some option. Otherwise
> new mappers are going to be like "I surveyed this area and there is no
> road there!" and hit delete without giving it another thought. Heck,
> I've done that. There were two hospitals being rendered in my city
> that no longer exist. One is a frat house and the other is an
> apartment building. I deleted them because having a hospital icon show
> up in a map where there is no hospital is most definitely a BAD thing.

Erm deleted or altered the tags? If they still exist, but have other
uses they shouldn't have been deleted...