On 24 Jun 2010, at 5:24 , Richard Mann wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> the root of the discussion seems to have no basis in
>> the tags, and seems entirely to be around rendering artefacts that you
>> dislike.
>
> What purpose do the _link tags serve other than rendering?

then the rendering is completely broken and doesn't deserve a special tag. all
the commercial maps render links much smaller and on lowest layer.

> If there's a serious reason for tag-to-higher then we can add an
> additional tag so people can record the status of what it links to
> (and then we can render it any way we like). But I can't think of a
> sensible reason for recording/using the higher status, except for
> motorways, so it just seems like it's been copied from motorway_link
> without thinking it through, is producing unintended results, and is
> therefore an error that needs to be corrected.

from a rendering point of view this shouldn't matter at all. as said above
rendering is ugly for *_link

> If people have done that thinking through, and there's a genuine
> reason for tag-to-higher for non-motorway roads, then I'd love to hear
> about it. All the reaction so far seems to be a complaint about how I
> did it, rather than the substance of the matter.
>
> Andy's made one of the few moderately serious points: it's confusing
> to treat them differently to motorway links. Not exactly a clincher,
> if it's wrong for other reasons.

consistency is more important to avoid confusion than an absolute statement. as
others pointed out ramps to/from motorways and most likely on trunks are in the
same jurisdiction and maintained by same agency as the motorway/trunk. So there
is a clear evidence that *_link belongs to the higher road it connects to.