On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 20:37 +1000, John Smith wrote:
> On 3 July 2010 20:35, Dermot McNally <derm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3 July 2010 11:18, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> As a few people pointed out, we always tag some things for the
> >> renderer, like highway=primary/secondary/etc...
> >
> > I disagree that this is tagging for the renderer. Rather, it is
> > rendering for the tags. The highway tag assigns a role (importance,
> > build quality, or whatever is considered good in the particular
> > region) and the renderer presents them differently.
>
> Personally I don't see a point for anything but motorway_link, but
> what is the difference between what you said and what others are
> suggesting for other *_link roads?

I think any road can have a link road (trunk, primary, etc), especially
any grade-separated crossings, which dont necessarily have to be
motorway.  For large intersections with separate slip-lanes, I often
mark the slip lanes as *_link, which also allows you to tag pedestrian
crossings across the link.

David