>>>I thought one of the goals was to have OSM used more widely?
>>
>> This is the right type of question but you need to create an even more
>> basic
>> understanding: I haven't seen a common understanding of the definition of
>> OSM's success. Where did you find the goal of a wider use? Wider use by
>
>I didn't find it anywhere, but what's the point in having the best
>maps in the world if no one uses them?

If this is the case then I think it would be very important to push address
referencing (more important than discussing a license change) as it is the
natural confidence test: Can I find my home address on the map? So far, it
is one of the weakest points as you normally don't find an address if you
look for it by using a postal code or your house number. It works in a few
large cities but that's it. If you can only zoom in to a specific place then
you will use Google Maps the next time you are looking for specific
address...

And that is my whole point: I think it is much more important to distill the
strategic goals out of the community's mind and then focus the efforts on a
few selective initiates rather than having hundreds of parallel projects.

Some people might want to achieve a wider use for humanitarian projects.
Then address referencing won't help and a license change won't change
either. There needs to be common understanding of the vision where OSM is
seen in five years from now.

Regards,
Oliver