On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 00:42 +0000, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>  However, you can't be certain, without personally checking the street
>  in question, whether the street really has no speed limit signs, or
>  whether the person who added the street to the map simply failed to
>  add the speed limit tag.

This could be said about any tagging.  A road might be one-way but the
mapper might have forgotten to add the oneway tag, or it might be bus
only or only accessable at certain times of the day, and the mapper
simply failed to add the tag.. this doesnt excuse you as the driver in
control of the vehicle from following the relevant laws on-the-ground.

Anyone who trusts their GPS's speed-guidance above and beyond the posted
speed limit signs, has no-one to blame but themselves.  I see the
maxspeed tag being useful as a guide to your speed limit, and also
useful in calculating accurate ETAs, but I dont think it should be
depended upon as a certainty.  If the GPS says the speed limit is 80 and
there are 40km/hr roadworks in-place, its the drivers responsibility to
follow the posted limit, not the limit being suggested by their GPS.

David