On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Sami Dalouche <sko...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a complete outsider regarding the licensing debate (and, to be
> honest, to the whole OSM project... I barely started mapping a few
> hiking trails).

Hi Sami,

Welcome to OSM.  We love mapping and hiking trails and beautiful
cartography and sometimes we get caught up in other topics.

> That being said, here is the main thing I wonder about :
>
> **Is the license change a real choice or a kind of legal obligation ?**
>
> The reason I ask is because, by looking at this thread, I feel like some
> people view it as important, and others see how depressing it is for the
> mapping community... But do we have the choice ?

Some view it as important.  Some enjoy vigorous discussion of any topic.  ;-)

I summarized the license upgrade process a while back.  It aims to be
a fife-minute introduction so you can decide how informed you want to
be, or if you just want to go with the flow.

http://weait.com/content/openstreetmap-license-change-progress

Best regards,
Richard