On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Michael Collinson <m...@ayeltd.biz>
> wrote:
> > Hi Nakor,
> >
> > Here is a quick initial answer.  I'll do a bit more research and add to a
> > FAQ and respond further, they sound like questions other folks will want
> > ask.
> >
> > At 22:57 10/08/2010, Nakor wrote:
> >>
> >>    Hello,
>
> >> 2) Where does PD data (mainly TIGER, NHS, NPS, NAIP imagery, USGS
> imagery)
> >> fall with regards to contributor terms, specifically "You have
> **explicit**
> >> permission from the rights holder to submit the Contents and grant the
> >> licence below"?'
>
> [ ... ]
>
> >> 3) same as 2) for tracing from Toporama WMS
> >> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Toporama_WMS)
> >
> > Please would one of our Canadian bretheren add an answer to this directly
> on
> > the wiki page?  Richard?!
>
> OSM use of Toporama is granted explicitly.  See:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/2010-August/003235.html
>
> Some people might think this is nitpicking, but I don't think that gives me
the right to "grant to OSMF a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive,
perpetual, irrevocable license to do any act that is restricted by
copyright".

For a start OSMF is not the same as OSM.  Secondly Toporama only grants the
right "for derivation and / or inclusion in" which doesn't quite sound the
same as "a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable
license to do any act that is restricted by copyright".

When did we start being so relaxed about the importance of getting this kind
of thing right?  Richard, would it be possible for you to ask Toporama for a
properly drafted permission?