I have had a similar thought for the longer Federal Highways in Brazil. Dividing them by state sounds sensible, as BR-101 reaches all the way from the border to Uruguay in the south to the city of Recife in Northeast. If my counting is right, that is 9 states. And there are several other highways like that in Brazil.

brgds
Aun Johnsen