The way I understand it, a culvert is just a tiny pseudo-bridge, physically
equivalent to a tunnel under an embankment. Culverts don't show up in the US
National Bridge Inventory, which is a database of bridges on public roads.
They normally carry water under roads, but may also carry a private farm
access road under a highway that splits a farmer's land.

I think culvert=yes is ambiguous: does it refer to the feature on top or
underneath? It may be best to use bridge=culvert and tunnel=culvert instead
(the former saying that it's not a true bridge; the latter equivalent to
tunnel=yes).