On 10/09/2010 11:14, Tobias Knerr wrote:
Lulu-Ann wrote:
I would like to add loc_name-tags for this and name ways like "footway from village
A to B, west of footway crossing in MyWoodName"
Yes: Don't use loc_name (or any other key that contains "name") for
this. It's not a name. It's a description.

Yes - I'd agree that that sounds to me like a description rather than a name (unless the path actually has a name of some sort of course).

However, in areas where there are many paths that could be ued to go from one place to another, I can see that it would be useful to know a suggested one to take (based on someone who's been there before, rather than a routing engine which only knows about distance and maybe elevation).

There have probably been 1001 wiki proposals for how to record stuff like this, so I've got two questions:

o Which proposals* are in use, widespread or otherwise?

o What information would it be useful to know about e.g. a footpath in the woods from A to B?

(followups possibly better suited to the tagging list; cc:ed)

Cheers,
Andy

*none of which I've read because it's been summer in this hemisphere and far too nice to stay indoors.