On Sep 14, 2010, at 9:06 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> bzcat england.osm.bz2 | time osmosis --rx - --bb left=-.6 bottom=51.3
> right=.4 top=51.7 --wx london.osm
>
> (or whatever "London" is for you).
>
> The whole process takes less than 10 minutes - probably faster than piecemeal
> downloading from the API, and with no ill effects on the database.

I was frequently in a situation in Haiti where I needed to quickly clip out big
area and was in a rush when doing it (before loosing internet) and on a windows
machine without osmosis installed.

So, I wrote a QGIS plugin that bundles osmosis and wraps it in a GUI (to allow
for using the QGIS interface and some existing data to position the bbox
correctly). This way I could simply download a geofabrik extract and the QGIS
plugin and then finish all my clipping and other data prep offline (esp without
having to look up the osmosis command line options which I can never
remember!).

Maybe might help someone else someday: http://qgis.dbsgeo.com/. To install just
load this URL as a custom QGIS plugin repository.

Dane