On Sep 15, 2010, at 8:45 AM, SteveC wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Michal Migurski wrote:
>
>> Thanks guys. I understand about the extracts, I've used them extensively for
>> years.
>>
>> I'm experimenting with a way to get at smaller areas of OSM data (generally
>> city-sized) for a possible update to http://tiledrawer.com, and I'm hoping
>> to understand how to both work within the API limitations and be able to
>> piecemeal together a town-sized area without requiring end-users to deal
>> with bzip files or osm2pgsql on their own.
>>
>> The code I'm developing is here:
>>
>> http://github.com/migurski/TileStache/blob/osm-mirror/TileStache/Goodies/Providers/MirrorOSM.py
>>
>> It's a provider class for Tilestache that mirrors OSM on a tile-by-tile
>> basis.
>>
>> Is there any interest here in publishing the OSM API via tile-like URLs? For
>> example, being able to make a request like this to pull a chunk of bounded
>> XML cached out of the OSM API:
>>      http://tile.openstreetmap.org/14/2627/6331.xml  <---- note "xml" on the
>> end
>>
>> The advantages with this should be plainly obvious: a source of data that's
>> trivially cacheable, on the order of hours-to-days old, and available for
>> specific areas of the world, without the massive download and parse overhead
>> of OSM extracts.
>
> Can't you do the hours-to-days old with diffs or your own api server based on
> diffs? The key is that it's out of band of the main API. Granted you appear
> to be breaking new ground here - perhaps what you *really* want to work on is
> something like tiledrawer - where tiledraw wakes up on an ec2 image, grabs
> data and begins rendering tiles (from my limited knowledge) - you want
> APIdrawer which wakes up and starts serving an up to date read-only API
> automatically? For use with tilestache clients on the net, or whatever.

Yeah, that's actually quite close. Or maybe, more accurately, a read-only
database slave whose sole function is to serve up a GET-only API to enable the
creation of things like tiledrawers (or just very local renderings). I don't
want to just make another layer of abstraction on EC2, I'm more interested in
OSM itself supporting something like reliable XML retrieval. Even now, the
extracts have a "temporary" smell about them, coming as they do from
non-openstreetmap.org domain names.

Things like the TRAPI linked earlier are absolutely on the right track, though
a bit slow with requests. I could also build all this myself, though I'm not
quite ready to go a-yak-shaving with this particular idea. Probably the best
thing for me would be to shelve it until OSM.org feels prepared to support
on-demand XML at a city scale, at whatever speed is sustainable.

-mike.