[follow-ups to legal-talk, where this thread really should have started]

Kevin Peat wrote:
Personally I don't care if the current license is weak as most
organisations will respect its spirit and if a few don't who cares,
it doesn't devalue our efforts one cent. I can't see how changing
to an unproven license can possibly be worth fragmenting the
project.

There'll be some fragmentation whatever happens. I've no doubt that, as you suggest, some people will leave if OSM moves to ODbL. Conversely, if OSM resolved to stick with CC-BY-SA then I'd leave as would several others. There is no "let's just carry on as at present" option.

Richard