Richard Fairhurst <rich...@...> writes:

>>It's curious that two of the strongest defences of 'strong share-alike' come
>>from yourself and Richard F. - but both of you prefer public domain.  I,
>>too, would prefer public domain over the ODbL.  What's going on?

>Basically, OSM has several outspoken people who won't countenance a
>permissive licence (e.g. Etienne and Steve). If you'd like to try and
>convince them of the error of their ways you're a braver man than I am.

80n is also an outspoken person who won't countenance ODbL or the proposed
contributor terms - so I don't think he weighs on the side favouring ODbL
rather than PD.  When I spoke with him I think his main concern was attribution:
80n, is that correct?  So a CC-BY licence might be acceptable.  Would you as
a 'public domain' proponent accept attribution-only as good enough?

You're right, though, that there are others within the project who don't think
a permissive licence is the right choice.  But it seems to have never been given
a fair shake - it was simply assumed right from the outset that share-alike is
the 'consensus', and then that was used to bring in a whole lot of legalese to
close off possible loopholes, giving ODbL as the unchallengeable end result
which
must now be pushed through at all costs.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>