On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:47:14 +0100, Robert Kaiser <ka...@kairo.at> wrote:
> Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer schrieb:
>> There seems to be a substantial number of OSMF members who consider all
>> data
>> created by individuals to be community-owned, even going so far as to
>> accuse
>> people who refuse to accept the CT as "holding our data hostage". This
>> mindset
>> gives me a feeling that OSMF and the OpenStreetMap community ignore the
>> many
>> hours that I spent for creating OpenStreetMap content. I contributed to
>> OpenStreetMap because it is licensed under the CC-BY-SA. I would never
>> have
>> contributed under a license that says: "All your work is now ours. You
>> give up
>> all control. Bugger off if you disagree."
>
> You can't reasonably have people "keeping control" of their
> contributions to 100% at all time, because contributions from all of us
> are so heavily entangled that it's nearly (if not completely) impossible

> to separate them again and determine what's "owned" by whom, esp. as we
> routinely modify database objects created and modified by "random" other

> contributors.
> I can't see how it would work in practice to "keep control" over
> individual contributions.

Especially there so many ways how OSM objects can get disconnected from
their history like delete/undelete (remember, there is no real undelete,
the data gets uploaded as new again and gets new IDs), splitting (part of
the object gets uploaded as new with no reference to the old version) and
merging (the merged object only stays connected to the history of the one
it inherits its ID from).

Matthias