On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Nic Roets <nro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM, Robin Paulson
>> <robin.paul...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>> i walk a lot, and would like a routing engine which understands i can
>>> take a direct route across an open public space, such as a park,
>>> without needing a footpath to be explicitly drawn in. the existing
>>> routing engines don't seem to understand this.
>>>
>>> or am i missing a tag? do i need to tag parks, etc. with "area=yes"
>>> "foot=yes", "access=yes" or would that be a case of "tagging for the
>>> routing engine"
>>>

>> Firstly note that routing across areas is (theoretically) much harder than
>> routing along ways (Non-polynomial time VS polynomial time).
>>
>> Secondly note that the problem is not restricted to pedestrian routing,
>> e.g. parking areas. There have been cases where people mapped the road
>> surface as areas, although they would then also have ways running down the
>> centerline.
>>
>> Supporting areas is on my list of things that I would like to do, but
>> there are many other things in front of it. I recently added dragable routes
>> to the Osm.org Routing Demo. I improved the endpoints. Negotiated for a
>> better server. Routing instructions and translations. And for Christmas I
>> want a mobile application for large scale collection of house numbers.
>>

>> I definitely second your call for a mobile app to easily collect house
> numbers. A single-purpose app could be very simple. Would you want to have
> something graphical (user pinpoints address on map on-screen) or something
> even simpler (user enters housenumber, selects street based on location or
> accepts best match, address node is sent to OSM). In the latter case, which
> is what I would prefer, how would you deal with GPS inaccuracy?

Non-graphical. The streetname is not added to the address PoI. Nominatim is
smart enough to take the closest street.

If I travel down a street it, I want to be able to tell it that house 23 is
on my left using just 3 or 4 keystrokes / taps.

http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/1385/what-is-the-best-mobile-application-for-large-scale-house-number-collection