Hmm I have wondered about DGN files before. The Kansas department of
transportation has maps available online in DGN format (all public
domain!)

For example most of the city maps are available as either PDF or DGN:
http://www.ksdot.org/burtransplan/maps/Mapscities.asp

So far I haven't really used them for anything that would require more
than a PDF but I think there are some boundaries in some of them that
would be nice to be able to extract. Like state parks and such.

Maybe I'll try to do some more digging this weekend. Let me know if
you find anything useful :)

Toby