On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 08:59 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> (Personally, I would be arguing against it. "Don't do X because the
> result would be less accurate than if you did Y" is an unhelpful kind
> of perfectionism. The line makes the point that accuracy is important.
> Well, coverage is also important. And you could argue that it's much
> more efficient to map from aerial imagery first, then correct errors
> with a local visit.)

I have absolutely no objection to map from aerial imagery first, then
correct errors with a local visit - as along as you are intending to
make that visit in the very near future. For example, we were to hold a
conference here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=13.03175&lon=77.56565&zoom=17&layers=M

before the conference I did a rough sketch from satellite imagery. On
arrival at the spot I found that the ground reality was totally at
variance with the satellite imagery - and I got lost!

what I object to is mapping a place one has no intention of visiting
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves