On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 23:34 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> Excellent. Finally a rational argument against tracing in certain
> situations. We could even begin to formulate policy:
>
> "Tracing imagery in areas where there are active local mappers using
> ground survey methods can kill enthusiasm and stunt the final quality
> of the map. Consider asking on the appropriate mailing list before
> doing it, particularly in densely populated areas."
>
> OTOH, I have to say that almost everywhere is going to end up mapped
> at the first level (what can be easily seen from the air), and it will
> be an interesting challenge to motivate people to fill in those
> secondary and tertiary layers of detail.

actually I find myself doing it the other way around - first map on the
ground and then use the air view (if any) to fill in things.

[...]
> To be honest, this conflict never even occurred to me before. I don't
> know whether it's particularly relevant to me though - Australia has
> an enormous land/mapper ratio. And I can't imagine getting any grief
> from some poor sod who was just desperate to get out on his bike and
> locally survey yet another bloody new outer Melbourne housing
> development.

maybe in Australia yahoo updates it's imagery more often than once in
2-3 years. So you would see a marsh and map it as such - and maybe the
said poor local sod may not even get on his bike to go there as who
wants to map a marsh?

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves