On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:28 AM, John Mitchell <mitchellj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I use googlemaps or the old classic mapquest for driving directions in
> the US it always finds the addresses that I am looking for but using the new
> mapquest in most cases does not because of the incomplete address
> information that it is using.  If I am a user and I can't find an address
> within mapquest and then go to googlemaps and find it then I would not try
> the new mapquest again.

Well that is the problem (currently) of using OSM data. Our addressing
(at least in the US) is pretty lacking. This isn't really MQ's fault -
it's ours :)

> Why can't Mapquest donate the addresses that they currently use within the
> old mapquest (classic) to openstreetmap so that it has the complete address
> information?

Would we want it? I guess "anything is better than nothing" might be a
valid argument but typically the locational accuracy from other map
providers is pretty low, at least around here. Searching for my
address on other map sites puts me a good block from my actual
location in an apartment complex. OSM puts me within 6 inches
(resolution of the aerial imagery I used to trace my complex) of the
bottom of the stairs that you go up to get to my apartment.

Toby