Hi,

Does anyone know how OSM compares to other open source databases when it comes to cities and administrative divisions ? For instance, the geonames project (http://www.geonames.org/) provides over 7 million POI, and 2 million of them are cities.
So, more specifically, here are my questions :
1/ how many cities are present in OSM ?
2/ how many of these cities are also associated to polygons that delimit them ? 3/ Are countries and administrative divisions also explicited in OSM ? (e.g. USA, California, Orange county, ..)
4/ Are there polygons for these administrative divisions and countries ?

The reason I ask these questions is because I am currently working on an open source library for doing full text lookups of cities, countries and other administrative divisions. (https://github.com/samokk/gisgraphy-java-client).
The project started as a client for http://www.gisgraphy.com (which is
based on geonames for the cities/countries/adm part), but I am wondering whether it is pragmatic enough to completly ditch gisgraphy/geonames in favor of OSM (the geonames Intellectual property is not 100% clean - as indicated on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#Geonames.org_.28Rejected.29 -,
and the geonames project is not being run as openly as OSM).

thanks,
Sami Dalouche