Hi,

On 01/31/11 02:27, Steve Bennett wrote:
Does that apply for coastlines as well? Or do coastlines not even need
the multipolygon?

Coastlines do not use multipolygons. But if you have an area that is bounded by coastline - say, a beach area - then you can create a multipolygon for the beach. In the simplest case, the beach multipolygon would consist of exactly two ways, one being the inland boundary of the beach, one being the piece of coastline, like so:

(where "C" is the inland beach boundary and "|" is the coastline).

It is possible to model this without a multipolygon, using only one way for the beach that shares some nodes with the coastline, like so:

I understand this is what your plugin does and I'd say it is ok for a couple of nodes (for simplicity) but if you really have something like an administrative area that ends at the coastline I'd not like to see someone "following" the coastline for 100s of nodes. If ways can be found to encourage people to use relations in these cases, that would be great.

Bye
Frederik