I have been following the discussion but have been in meetings today so
haven't been able to contribute.

I agree we can discuss at lenght what 'separable' and 'unmodified' mean as
abstract concepts but, as usual with legal contracts, the words will be
interpreted in a particular context.

It is probably worth looking at some more real examples therefore, in
addition to my legal forest boundary example.

The strict view expressed above by Frederick and others would mean that it
would be impossible to use osm mapping as a bacground for this crime data as
in the chart, 'Violent crime in the USA' unless the overlaid data was also
on an open licence or the crime data was to the side of the map.
http://thesocietypages.org/graphicsociology/2009/02/17/typical-crime-map-victimization/

And this one showing the location of the 'Trafford Law Centre' unless the
photo was also on a free license or moved so as not to obscure the map.
http://www.traffordlawcentre.org.uk/contact_us/contact.htm

How about this map of the Isle of White overlaid with illustrations?
http://www.steve.shalfleet.net/

Indeed anything overlaid on the map, or any other ccbysa image or photograph
would need to be on an open license if the strict interpretation was used.

In my view any corrections or additions to the map of features represented
on that map view belong in the DB, anything else can be used to create a
collection.

Regards,

Peter