On 11-02-20 10:44 AM, Daniel Sabo wrote:
Really it should be the importer making those fixes if at all possible, so personally I
would be much faster to revert things. If we could email back someone their changesets as
an OSM file and say "it was nice of you to try importing this but could you not
erase that lake over on the left?" I think we could even do it without chasing too
many would be importers away.
I agree. Things like this should be dealt with off-list first. It doesn't help if the entire OSM community immediately jumps in on this.
A major limitation is also that there's really no way to collaborate on
something like this without dumping it into the main map. There have been
previous talks about making some repository were people could put OSM formatted
data they want imported and then let other people gradually copy it into the
map but I don't think it's ever gotten off the ground.
FYI, this is basically the Canvec import model. The repository is available by FTP here: ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub/ . There is also a Google Docs spreadsheet where the status is being recorded, but personally I find it pretty cumbersome. It's still better than trying to manage it on the OSM wiki, as was the case first.

Of course a repository, even a centralized one, does not prevent incidents like this happening. The best way to prevent this is by education, by stressing (would-be) importers about the impact their work is having, so they should even take more diligence than as normal users
Which I think is basically why the airports import didn't get reverted. There
was bad data but also a lot of good data and no better option for separating
the two than just leaving it all in the map.
This should have been taken care of before the import. Anyways, if it is obvious which airports are misplaced, they should be moved or deleted.
- Daniel