--- On Sun, 2/20/11, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports
> To: "Richard Fairhurst" <rich...@systemed.net>
> Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
> Date: Sunday, February 20, 2011, 2:08 PM
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM,
> Richard Fairhurst
> <rich...@systemed.net>
> wrote:
> > This is killing OSM. We are not here to provide a free
> API to government
>
> Sounds like OSM has reached the point Wikipedia many years
> ago, where
> the limits of open slather editing become apparent.
>
> Suggestions:
> 1) Lock down the upload capability, requiring approval for
> big uploads
> 2) Make rollbacks easier
> 3) Improve detection of big changes
>
> And, sure, continue to attempt to educate the community.
> But with a
> wide open API, that's only going to be so effective.
>
> Steve

hello,zero tolerance on X implies X is bad,
which sounds ridiculous after all the huge imports already done.
This thread totally backfired...

also, how do you distinguish an 'import' from a long JOSM tracing session? I
think the concept 'import' is artificial and useless. We don't have imports, we
have big and small contributions. All data -surveyed by the person who uploads
them or not- have errors and need maintenance. The important things are:
respect the license terms, do not destroy data, do not upload irrelevant data,
use tags reasonably.

Regards,
Juan Lucas