I think you have to accept that many "imports" come through JOSM, the
incident that initiated this thread wasn't an import problem as such just an
incorrect selection and hitting the delete key too quickly in JOSM.

Given the turn over of new people collaboration will always be a problem
especially as many people map from aerial or satellite images.  Not every
one is interested in spending time over a beer or coffee before going out
mapping.

There is a problem with some older data in regard to incorrect street
names.  I found more than a hundred in my local city.  Unfortunately they
are difficult to confirm unless you are on the ground and damage the
credibility of OSM.  Moving to OdBL may get rid of some of the older work
which maybe more prone to this sort of error.

There is a great danger that OSM organisation as it is today will become an
interesting piece of history.  In the computer world things move very
quickly and yesterday's darling is irrelevant today.  A map based on
importing the road network that includes correct street names and addresses
using OSM tools with added POIs based on street addresses if they find the
right imports would tend to be favored by many map users.

We need better tools for validating tags.  Give something the wrong tag and
it doesn't ever appear in a render.

Cheerio John